Friday, November 28, 2008

Post-Turkey Day Post

Does it still count as Thanksgiving dinner if you eat off Styrofoam plates using real silverware and have no wine? My husband would argue vehemently "NO!" and I tend I agree, although I totally understand the reasoning behind such decisions.

This is the first year we are way ahead on all our Christmas shopping. Our kids receive two gifts, one from us and one from Santa - those are purchased, some, though, are still en route. I still need to buy a few more stocking stuffers (they get one each day for the 12 days of Christmas), gifts for my mom and my in-laws and help three of the children buy a gift for their sibling (they draw names).

I finished my scrapbook of Germany -yee haw! It is so nice to have it complete. In reading over it, I noticed I made several grammar mistakes; I have a tendency to write where for were. I must not notice it when I'm in the middle of writing, but boy of boy it sure reads funny later. Any bets on how long it will take me to correct them? Or does it add character to the book to leave them in?

It was neat to see the joy of a neighborhood boy who came to service with us on Thanksgiving Eve. He said, "I"ve not been to church since I was a little boy." He was well-behaved and quite courteous.

Reading the lessons prior to the start of service always helps me to listen more closely during the service when Pastor reads them. At the Thanksgiving Eve service I was struck by the words in the epistle, "In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4) I was pondering on those words "the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need" that I didn't realize came before the more popular and oft-quoted passage of "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Then lo and behold, Pastor preached on those words. I really learned from that text and sermon where I sin much in worrying about needs, when I already have an abundance I don't see clearly.

Even though most are taking a day to shop or hang Christmas decorations, or lounge around, MLLA is back in session and David is at work with a funeral this morning and other pastoral responsibilities this afternoon.

Hope you're enjoying your post-turkey day.

No comments: