Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Challenge

My friend Jane posted this challenge.  I'm brave enough now to jump in and join.

I wouldn't have been a year ago.  Back then I was afraid to make a list of books to read.  That list never got  started, let alone finished, so instead I made a list of books I read, and have been doing so on Goodreads ever since.  (Yes, I'm supposed to also list them here, and I haven't done that for a long time.  I'll try to do that soon my friends.  Please,  don't define "soon" for me.)  What a joy it has been for me to see what I've read, instead of what I should be reading.

As my friend list on Goodreads has grown, so too has my "to read" list.  Plus my children also have a list of books they want me to read.  What better time than with Jane's challenge to start tackling the list?




From friends and kids to books I have been wanting to read, here are the books I Plan to Read in 2013:


  1. Term Limits by Vince Flynn
  2. American Assassin by Vince Flynn
  3. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
  4. An Untamed Land by Lauraine Snelling
  5. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  6. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  7. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  8. Hidden America: From Coal Miners to Cowboys, an Extraordinary Exploration of the Unseen People Who Make This Country Work by Jeanne Marie Laskas
  9. Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
  10. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan


Alternates:

  1. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  2. Kill Shot by Vince Flynn
  3. The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
  4. The Complete Book of Running For Women by Claire Kowalchik
  5. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Note: It has taken me several days to make this list.  I now realize that I pick books on the spur of the moment.  What sounds good now, what intrigues me while browsing the library shelves.  Putting this list together is a little frightening - what if I don't like it? What if I'm not in the "mood?"  Oh well, won't know until I try, so I'm jumping in with both feet.

4 comments:

Jane said...

I pick books on the spur of the moment, too. Sometimes by the time I get one home from the library it's too late. :)

Aubrey said...

Betsy-Tacy was my very first chapter book when I was a little girl. I still have the (very, very) tattered book and can't wait until Claire and Natalie can read it.
And you will LOVE Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I loved the Betsy-Tacy books, but they messed me up for years, because I was never able to find the kind of friendship and camaraderie that just seemed to magically happen for Betsy.

I also really don't like Emily of Deep Valley and Carney's House Party very much the older I've gotten, but since those are side stories, you can really just ignore them.

Emily Cook said...

great list! I'm considering the challenge myself... we will see!