Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Reading Challenge Update

I accepted the reading challenge from Jane for 2014. I do not think I have ever updated on how my list went. As you will see I finished all but one of the books, including the two alternates. I finished the last one in November. Below is my update for each book on my list. I kept the list in the order I listed them in the original post. Therefore the finished dates are not in chronological order.

The List of Books I Plan to Read:
1. The Quest for the Secret Keeper by Victoria Laurie - Finished January 21, 2014
This is the third book in the Oracles of Delphi Keep series. If you or your children have not read them, run to the library and get them. They have become a favorite of our family and are on children's wish lists to own their own copies. We are all hoping the fourth book will be released soon.

2. A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy - Finished January 31, 2014
I don't know who first told me about Maeve Binchy, but I'm grateful. What delightful character-filled stories. Engaging and easy reads, I have found that when I'm in a reading slump, picking up one of her books is a sure way to jumpstart my reading bug.

3. Over Sea Under Stone by Susan Cooper - Finished November 11, 2014
This series was recommended by friends. Hannah read them and really liked this one, the first, but said she felt the rest weren't as good. I liked this one and will probably read the rest in the series in the future to see if I agree with her.

4. The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander - Finished February 15, 2014
Friends had been telling my about this series, The Chronicles of Prydain, for awhile and my daughter Hannah kept saying I needed to read them. I read the first awhile back, then this the second. I didn't read the remaining three until July. But I loved them. Great characters, plot and themes. I think Taran is a great character to teach all of us good life lessons. If you haven't read this series, do. It is also a favorite of our family and many of the children have found their own copies in thrift stores or have them on their wish list.

5. Eragon by Christopher Paolini - Finished May 31, 2014
My daughter Ellie asked me to read these. I didn't really like this book. It seemed like it was trying way to hard to be like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. It really pointed out to me that one can utilize very well various dress-ups in writing, yet it doesn't flow well. A true master, such as Tolkien makes it effortless and seem easy. This is the first book in the series and I did read the second, Eldest, after this one. But when Ellie confirmed that there were two more books and not just one, I couldn't bear to read those. I may still yet, but I simply couldn't bear to read anymore in a row.

6. Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault on Mind, Morals, and Meaning by Nancy Pearcy - Never read. My library doesn't have it and the two times I went to library loan it, I wasn't home to get it when it became available. I do want to read this and will try to get to it in 2015.

7. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - Finished July 12, 2014
I really enjoyed this novel. After loving Oliver Twist, the first Dickens I ever read, and feeling tortured by A Tale of Two Cities, I was nervous for this one. But it was great, intriguing, thought-provoking, and one I will read again.

8. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith - Finished February 11, 2014
Great mystery written by J.K.Rowling. She has a way of making characters so real. I love Cormoran Strike and his secretary Robin. I read the second book in the series, The Silkworm, finishing it September 27, 2014. I look forward to more!

9. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald - Finished October 19, 2014
Another book recommended by Ellie. It was a delightful tale and would be a very good read aloud.

10. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - Finished August 6, 2014
This was an excellent book. I could relate to so many of the characters and "hear" many of my own family members in the dialog.
Alternates:
1. Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen - Finished October 19, 2014
This was a weird book. I don't think I would recommend it to anyone.

2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Finished October 30th 2014
I really liked this book. I found the description of flying kites fascinating as well as life in Afghanistan.

No comments: