Saturday, June 07, 2014

Milestone in the Month of May

My mom flew in for a week's visit the last Monday in April.  This was the first time she had been to our home for a year and a half and we were all happy to have her. We made the most of her week here.

She and I spring cleaned the main floor of our home.  By that I mean we took things off the walls, we washed them and the walls, dusted, vacuumed, mopped, washed windows and curtains, and each evening enjoyed each of the clean rooms.  We did one room per day and by far the dirtiest, grimiest, took-the-entire-day-and-made-us-the-most-exhausted was the kitchen.  Thankfully we tackled it first.

But the main reason Mom came to visit wasn't to help me spring clean but to be here for Nathan who received the holy body and blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the first time on Sunday, May 4th.


Nathan's confirmation verse:
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9


The family, including my mom and David's dad.
The confirmation certificate is from Wolfson Creative.
What joy to see a child admitted to the Holy Sacrament. God keep Nathan and all His children in the one true faith until life everlasting.

We held a dinner for family and friends in the church hall after the service.  Keeping the tradition I began with his older sisters, I let him choose the meal.  The caveat was that it had to be easy for me to fix ahead of time since we would be in the service until almost time to eat.  Nathan wavered back and forth between California tacos, enchiladas, and lasagna. Finally he decided on the tacos.  Instead of cake he chose pie.

Saturday saw mom and I not cleaning but cooking in the kitchen.  We prepared the taco meat and I made the six pie crusts.  Mom made two chocolate and two pumpkin and I made two streusel topped apple. It was all quite delicious.

Mom's return flight had her departing at 6 am Monday morning May 5th.  That meant David and I were up and driving her to the airport by 4 am. An early flight that ended a short visit which went far too quickly.  But we all enjoyed having her and I still am quite thankful she could make it and was so willing to help me tackle my spring cleaning. And we were hopeful she could return at the end of the month to help us celebrate another milestone.

No comments: