Friday, July 19, 2013

Are You Starving?

On Sunday, July 7th, I was fed.
On Tuesday, July 9th, I was fed.
On Friday, July 12th, I was fed.
On Sunday, July 14th, I was fed.
On Wednesday, July 17th, I was fed.
On Sunday, July 21st, I will be fed once again.

6 times in two weeks the Lord's Body and Blood was placed into my mouth for me to eat and to drink for the forgiveness of my sins.

Also in those same last two weeks I have been blessed to be immersed in God's Word.  From July 9th through the 12th, I attended multiple services each day with approximately 1400 others at the Higher Things From Above conference held at Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN.  From July 15th through July 18th with about 100 other attendees of the Consortium for Classical Lutheran Education at Concordia Theological Seminary in Ft. Wayne, IN.

I did not realize how much I was starving until I was fed so abundantly.

I'm always telling my kids to drink more water even when they are not thirsty.  By doing so, their bodies will be craving more water, which is good and healthy for them. These two weeks has shown me that being adequately hydrated in God's Word and with His Body and Blood is very similar.  By being fed, I want more.  I crave the spiritual food that will make me strong unto salvation. May God, my gracious heavenly Father, continue to do this good work in me and sustain me through the times of fasting, and bring me and all believers into everlasting life.

2 comments:

Katy said...

I use that exact same analogy (not knowing you're dehydrated until you start drinking more water) all the time to argue for frequent communion.

Susan said...

Every time we hit Easter, I know it's going to be going cold turkey. Five days in a row. And if you count prayer services and Bible classes too, we're talking 17 times we can gather for preaching (and possibly the Lord's Supper too) during Holy Week. And then Pastor contemplates canceling Wedn-night church because everybody was there on Sunday??? What?! After all that richness, to not have any chance until the next Sunday? Sorry, I'm too wimpy for that.