Thursday, June 07, 2012

Connected

Pastor Esget wrote about the distraction of Facebook and emails and texting.

I had inklings of this before my trip to Europe.  The uncomfortable feeling of someone grabbing their phone or iPad or iPod to "check something" while in conversation with me or other people.  I'm just as guilty as they are because I know I've done the same thing.  I'm sorry.

The on-line "connectedness" is addicting, and in my case, it took being forced to be unplugged to see just how addicted I was.  While in Europe we didn't always have access to the internet.  And when we did it was only at the places we stayed.  So all day, every day, we were out seeing, and doing, and living, without a cell phone, or iPods, or iPads to distract us.

Wow was that nice.  So that even when we checked emails or Facebook or wrote blogposts in the evening, it felt weird.  Yes we enjoyed "seeing" everyone again, but it really opened my eyes to how fake that life is.  I'm not really connected with those people.  Yes, I can read what someone is reading, or what someone "likes" or see pictures of themselves or their family, but that doesn't make me any closer to any of those people.

Those on-line friends whom I care about the most are all ones I've met in person.  With whom I've shared personal emails, phone conversations, and late-night chats in each other's home. I'm thankful for my on-line friends, especially those ladies who are part of the homeschool group I am a member.  They have helped and supported me in many ways.  I don't plan on pulling the plug on my on-line status.  But I do plan on limiting that on-line time.  To live in the present, seeing, and doing things in this life, in this day.  To remember to make a point of using this great tool of the internet to connect with others, without disconnecting with the real-life people around me.  To make plans whenever possible to meet these friends in person. And most of all, when I am with people, family or friends, that I connect with them, not the internet.

No comments: