Friday, March 11, 2011

I Can Imagine The Significance of the Moment

I'm currently reading Decision Points by President George W. Bush.  He wrote this on page 109 describing  what happened as he sat behind the Resolute desk in the Oval Office for the first time:

"Then the door to the Rose Garden swung open.  I looked up and saw Dad.
'Mr. President,' he said.  He was wearing a dark suit, his hair still wet from the hot bath he'd taken to thaw out.
'Mr. President,' I replied.
He stepped into the office, and I walked around the desk.  We met in the middle of the room.  Neither of us said much.  We didn't need to.  The moment was more moving than either of us could have expressed."

3 comments:

Melanie T. said...

I thought that was a very significant moment, too.

Do you like the book? I've been enjoying it. The writing isn't captivating, but I can hear GW's voice in the printed words.

It's interesting to read his perspective on the decisions he made. Some of it makes a lot more sense now. I've got about 1/4 of the book to go. I think it's one of the books I'll have my high school age kids read, if only to appreciate the significance of the office of POTUS.

Glenda said...

Yes Melanie, I am enjoying it a lot! I agree that it is like hearing GW's voice and I do appreciate his perspective. I'm not quite half way yet, but I've been thinking this is one for my shelf and not to constantly borrow from the library.

T. said...

I just read this in January! I found it very interesting to see over and over again the deliberations, counsel, and concerns behind many of his decisions. I think that stayed with me the most, and wished more of the public would have realized (instead of just bashing him) how concerned and careful he really was about so many things.