Friday, May 21, 2010

Boys Need to Play

Homeschooling sure keeps me on my toes. When I taught history to the oldest two, both girls, when they were younger, they loved to color a picture or draw one, write a summary and be done and ready to move on to the next thing.

Not so with this next set of kids, two of whom are boys with a girl sandwiched between. She, like her sisters, is perfectly happy to draw and color and write. The boys not so much. Oh they'll color and fill in the map-work, but they want to hear the story.

They want to be engrossed in the action of the battle, the decisions of the emperor, the secrecy of the catacombs.

And when I finish reading and help them to write some summary, they don't want to move on to the next thing.

They want to play.

They want to play what they just heard.

And I've realized that is a very good thing.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I remember reading history stories to my boys while they sat on the floor with army men or legos. I used to love it when I'd realize, listening to them later, that they were incorporating historical figures and events into their play.