Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Spring Cleaning Melting Mommy's Heart

I've been trying to spring clean the rooms in the house, tackling, usually, just one room a day (although it has been far from doing one every day, due to canning or preserving and swim club practices).

Yesterday I began to tackle the boys' room. Those two boys have more knick-knacks and "treasures" than a small museum. Plus the walls are covered with military posters, newspaper clippings and pictures of Vikings or Twins or NASCAR, handmade papers with dinosaur names or snowflakes, the pictures from all their Sunday School lessons this past year, and any number of other things.

All of this makes it hard to clean the walls and I hate all the clutter, but I'm really trying to remember that all of this means something to them. So I ignored the walls and focused on the closet and reorganizing and cleaning what I could. Our bedrooms are quite small and I decided the boys would have more room if I could get rid of a dresser, and move their bunks to another wall. I accomplished this with the help of my husband right before supper time.

When we moved the bed we noticed that our oldest son had put Harry Potter cut-outs on the ceiling right above where his head would be and on the wall right behind we saw that he had cut out these two collects from past Sundays' bulletins:

"Almighty and everlasting God, You knit together Your faithful people of all times and places into one holy communion, the mystical body of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Grant us so to follow Your blessed saints in all virtuous and godly living that, together with them, we may come to the unspeakable joys you have prepared for those who love You; through Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen."

"Stir up, O Lord, the wills of Your faithful people that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may by You be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen."

And my grumbling heart melted and it was easier for me to see that all of this "clutter" were things that really did mean something to these boys and that God is working in their hearts faith in Him.

2 comments:

Ewe said...

Thanks Glenda for the offer. I just might come visit you some time!

Laura said...

I miss all that kid "clutter" a lot...I'm so glad you kept it and realized what it meant....that is a precious posting.