Thursday, March 05, 2009

Overnight French Toast

Or as it is listed on the recipe card that my good friend Melanie gave to me, "Make-Ahead French Toast."  Somehow I've renamed it to "overnight french toast" and can't seem to get that out of my head.  (Oh Josh and Katie, this is what I fixed for you that Sunday after church.) For those of you with our church's new cookbook, the recipe can be found on page 52.  For the rest here it is:

Make-Ahead French Toast
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
Cinnamon to taste

Mix together melted butter and brown sugar.  Pour into a 9x13 pan.  Layer Texas toast over top of brown sugar mixture (the bread will be lying on an angle in the dish).  Beat eggs, milk and vanilla and cinnamon together.  Pour over the bread.  Cover and chill for 8-12 hours.  Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

To serve, take out pieces and turn upside-down on a plate allowing the gooey brown sugar mixture to be on top.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and warmed syrup (optional).

1 comment:

EmilyC said...

Yes, I am the EmilyC who used to live by you, and Max and Sam love to see pictures of your kids on your blog. Thanks for the recipe. I think this is one Phil might even enjoy!
Emily