Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Wild Rice Soup

I had never eaten (at least I never remember eating) wild rice soup before moving to Minnesota. It is a favorite of many around here and has become one of my favorite soups as well. Looking around at various recipes, I ended up combining two to make my own.

Try some yourself sometime, it is really easy.

Wild Rice Soup
  • 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
  • 2 quarts chicken broth
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 1/2 cup carrot, diced
  • Potatoes, peeled, and diced (add to your liking)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 cups cream
  • Bacon bits or ham, cooked and diced (add to your liking)
  • Shredded cheese, to taste
  • Salt, pepper, to taste

In a saucepan combine rice, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and 4 cups of broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 35-40 minutes or until tender. In a separate saucepan, melt butter, add flour, stir in remaining broth and cook until bubbly, cook and stir another minute, then stir in cream. Add this to the vegetables, add seasonings, meat and cheese if desired.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

We like wild rice soup, too. I haven't made it in a while! The friend who gave me the recipe is from none other than Minnesota (Michelle D. on Loopers).

Anonymous said...

Glenda...we made this for supper and it was great! Thanks for the recipe. I've enjoyed several of yours, actually.

Jeannette Meyer