Sunday, December 21, 2008

Melting Moments

No, it isn't all the snow, especially since the temperatures are below freezing with wind chills even lower.

No, what are melting moments then, are these little delicacies:

A few years ago, when we lived in Illinois, my sister-in-law and I would get together one day and decorate sugar cookies for Christmas. She would often bring another kind of cookie to share and I would give her something if I had happened to think about it in time. She has always been much more thoughtful than me.

Anyway, one year, she brought these mouth-watering yummies. I loved them and gobbled them like crazy. Years have gone by and I had forgotten all about these yummy, yummy, cookies, until I looked through my recipes to make a list of what goodies I wanted to make for Christmas treats.
That is when I saw it, the recipe card for Melting Moments.

I knew immediately they would be on my list. They can be on yours too, I'll share the recipe.

Don't worry, you still have time to make them, they're easy and quick. You can even make the dough one morning and bake in the afternoon, or make the dough one day and bake another.

Melting Moments
1 cup flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Sift flour once and measure. Add cornstarch and sift again. Set aside. In mixing bowl, cream butter with vanilla. Add powdered sugar, cream until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture, mix until smooth. Chill dough.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop dough from teaspoonfuls or form small balls (my choice). Bake for 10-15 minutes. Frost when cool with cream cheese frosting.

Cream cheese frosting:
1.5 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
(I add a little milk)
food coloring of your choice

Cream the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, beat until blended. Divide into bowls for your color choices. Frost cookies, allowing it to set before storing or serving.

These cookies are fragile and tend to fall apart if handled carelessly. But boy oh boy once you put one in your mouth, it really does melt away. The recipe made 37 cookies for me. I rolled the dough in small walnut shape balls, and they do flatten somewhat as they bake. The original cream cheese frosting was double what I wrote above, but I only needed the half batch to cover the cookies.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny Chavez said...

I have to tell you. . . All these recipes that you are putting on your blog make me very hungry! Can't you just send me a care package with a little of all these????? You know like mom use to do when we were in college???? I don't have the "baking thumb" like you do :P