Friday, September 26, 2008

In God, My Fiathful God

In the last two months I've worshiped in two other LCMS churches due to our vacations. The first one was at my in-laws congregation. I knew what I would get there, TLH page 15. I didn't know that Pastor would pick one of my new favorite hymns to sing, "In God, My Faithful God." (LSB 745). The second time was last Sunday in northern WI. Having never been up there over a Sunday, we weren't sure where to go, but the guys decided on the one south where we could then leave for home after worshiping.

We arrived quite early and had a chance to look around and meet the pastor and some of the parishioners. When we sat down, I decided that I would try really hard to not nit-pick what wasn't right. So instead I focused on what was. They used the liturgy (although it was written in the bulletin and parts were added or left out), the pastor preached on the epistle (although it wasn't the best Lutheran sermon I've ever heard), we sang "Salvation unto Us has Come" (although all the gospel verses were omitted), and the Lord's Supper was served.

Yes there were many things that made me scratch my head, but one of the things that made it easier was hymn 745. It was used as a communion hymn. I simply love the words to this hymn and it really strengthens me and always reminds me to cling to Christ.

In God, my faithful God,
I trust when dark my road;
Great woes may over-take me,
Yet He will not forsake me.
My troubles He can alter;
His hand lets nothing falter.

My sins fill me with care,
Yet I will not despair.
I build on Christ, who loves me;
From this rock nothing moves me.
To Him I will surrender,
To Him, my soul's defender.

If death my portion be,
It brings great gain to me;
It speeds my life's endeavor
To live with Christ forever.
He gives me joy in sorrow,
Come death now or tomorrow.

O Jesus Christ, my Lord,
So meek in deed and word,
You suffered death to save us
Because Your love would have us
Be heirs of heavnly gladness
When ends this life of sadness.

"So be it," then, I say
With all my heart each day.
Dear Lord, we all adore You,
We sing for joy before You.
Guide us while here we wander
Until we praise You yonder.

1 comment:

Dakotapam said...

I love that hymn, and "Salvation Unto us Has Come"...all verses.