Sunday, March 09, 2008

Glen Edward

I wasn't going to post about my dad today on this the 8th anniversary of his falling asleep in the Lord. It isn't that I haven't thought about him or miss him, but that I just didn't know what to say. But after arriving home this evening from a niece's afternoon birthday party, I decided to unwind by reading blogs. While reading Pr. Stuckwisch's, I knew I had to link to it.

Even though there are days I cry and really miss my dad, I know I will see him again. I hope and believe in Christ as my dad did and as he taught me. I know he rests now from his labors and one day I shall too; and on the Last Day God will raise me and all the dead and give eternal life to me and all believers in Christ. This is most certainly true.

"Oh how blest are they whose toils are ended,
Who through death have unto God ascended!
They have arisen
From the cares which keep us still in prison."

"We are still as in a dungeon living,
Still oppressed with sorrow and misgiving;
Our undertakings
Are but toils and troubles and heart-breakings."

"They meanwhile are in their chambers sleeping,
Quiet and set free from all their weeping;
No cross or sadness
There can hinder their untroubled gladness."

"Christ has wiped away their tears forever;
they have that for which we still endeavor.
By them are chanted
Songs that ne'er to mortal ears were granted."

"Come, O Christ, and loose the chains that bind us;
Lead us forth and cast this world behind us.
With You, the Anointed,
Finds the soul its joy and rest appointed." (LSB 679)

1 comment:

Kristi Heinz said...

Great link! I love his blog!

He says it well. I morned for my dad while he was alive and suffering than I did after he died. I was so happy that he was no longer in pain but was with his Father! I rejoice and look forward to joining him in the kingdom!