Monday, January 28, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread

2 envelopes dry yeast
3 Cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup dry milk
1/4 cup honey
2/3 cup ground flax
2-3 tsp salt*
2/3 cup cracked wheat (I've been using wheat germ)
3 Cups whole wheat flour**
4 Cups bread flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water with brown sugar. Add butter, dry milk and honey. Add flax and cracked wheat. Combine salt and flour and add to mixture. Mix well.*** Knead on floured surface. Place in greased bowl, turning dough once, to grease dough. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down, let rise about 1 hour. Shape loaves and place in 3 greased 9x5 loaf pans. Let rise 1 hour. Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

*She doubled the original recipe which meant it should be 3 tsp salt and she uses 2 tsp. I've been using about 2.5 tsp.
**I put in the whole wheat flour, mix it in and then let my Bosch tell me how much bread flour to put it, so far it rarely has come to the full 4 cups.
***I get to this point and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I come back and knead it in the Bosch before placing it in a greased bowl.

No comments: