Saturday, September 15, 2007

Not the day I thought

I was going to be busily and happily preparing for our adventure, helping the children finish their New World Explorer projects, cleaning and straightening the house, but now it seems all sort of pointless.

Impending death does that. Especially the impending death of a loved one or a dear friend, or a dear church brother.

Merciful Father, God of all truth, we commend Lowell into Your gracious keeping, for You have redeemed him. Guard and shield him from all the powers of darkness as he walks through the valley of the shadow of death. Grant that he may fall asleep in peace and awaken to the bright joy of Your eternal presence; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Lord, let at last Thine angels come.
To Abr'ham's bosom bear me home,
That I may die unfearing;
And in its narrow chamber keep
My body safe in peaceful sleep
Until Thy reappearing.
And then from death awaken me,
That these mine eyes with joy may see,
O Son of God, Thy glorious face,
My Savior and my fount of grace.
Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend,
And I will praise Thee without end.

No comments: