Wednesday, August 08, 2007

MLLA is now in session

Yesterday, Mumme Lutheran Latin Academy had its first school day after a short summer break. (Before you other homeschool moms start throwing rocks at the computer, know that the only new things we're doing are Latin and History, then finishing up Math and Science from last year). We are only having half days this month in order to retrain our sleeping habits. (Plus this mom really couldn't handle full days with all subjects at the moment).

This year, our oldest requested we make up house names and sort them into the two houses at an opening of term feast. She wanted me to get everything ready so bad, she took care of the entire kitchen clean-up work on Saturday in order for me to work in the office preparing.

Sunday morning at breakfast, waiting at their spots, were letters of welcome, schedules, and a supply list for each of the children. Why did it amaze me how excited they were? I do tend to forget the little things that make them happy.

Monday evening at our evening feast of biscuits, sausage gravy, and scrambled eggs, the Headmaster sorted the 4 children old enough to attend MLLA into the two houses of St. Peter and St. Paul.

Yesterday our day went very well. They were all excited to use some of their new things (pencils, glue) and were quite attentive to their lessons. We didn't get to science, but they did home-ec instead.

After lunch, I froze 10 quart bags of corn while the two oldest made Molasses Spice Cookies. Then a trip to the farmer's market provided me with the veggies needed to can 13 pints of salsa after supper.

All in all, not a bad first day. Now I need to keep this momentum flowing so it lasts longer than just one day.

3 comments:

Hanley Family said...

We just started back Monday. Sunday I decided I'd had enough of my daughter's increasing complaining, remembered days of more work and less whine and started school full time on Monday.

And she stopped whining. Weird kids.

(And I love your tagline at the top!)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great first day. That's cool what your kids did. My kids aren't quite that enthused, but they are excited about school starting (even though they won't admit it).

Glenda said...

Thanks Dana. Mine too, seemed to get along better in the afternoon with each other. I can't say all the whining stopped, they must know how much I like it. I'm just waiting for when they realize I like to *drink* it, not *hear* it. :-)

Isn't that funny, Ms. Sniz, how they don't want to always admit they like it, but as a mom, you can tell?