Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Joy of Teaching

I've written before about our science curriculum. We are still working our way through the book. We have hung several feeders, one right outside our dining room window. Over the past couple of days various finches are coming and enjoying the seed we provided. The kids are absolutely loving seeing the colors of the finches and are noticing the differences from "close-up". We've also put out grape jelly and oranges on a feeder for Baltimore Orioles. It has been hanging for a couple of weeks, and alas, not one has been spotted until yesterday at supper. Oh how excited everyone was as we realized it was a female oriole.

I also enjoy the excitement of the kids running to me and telling me they remember one of the types of feathers on a bird. Or telling me they just saw a bird turn in the air by flapping one wing faster than the other. I love to see the excitement on their faces.

This week I've also been teaching the stories in VBS. In this congregation, the children are divided into three groups - 3yr - K; 1st -3rd; and 4th-6th. The groups travel to the three sites (music, craft, and Bible lesson) in a different order. For the lesson portion, each of the groups are divided into two and the two teachers then teach the lesson to each of the three groups. This year, the Bd of Ed, along with Pastor, developed their own program; Heroes of the Bible covering David and Goliath, Elijah and the Prophets of Baal, Three Men in the Fiery Furnace and Daniel in the Lions' Den. Last night's lesson was Three Men in the Fiery Furnace.

I had found a felt board and felt pieces to use to tell the story to the youngest. How they enjoyed the figures as I told the story. And when I had all the people bow down to worship the idol, several said, "but what about them?" As they were pointing to Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. They knew right away something would happen.

And when I told the story to the second group, I began by holding an old picture published by CPH (similar to the new ones they are publishing for the SS curriculum) and a couple of them said, but wait there are 4 in the fire, not 3. I smiled and said they were right, that is just what the people there said and then made them wait to hear the story from the beginning. Then when the story was all told, one boy asked in amazement, "Is this true.?" When I said yes, his eyes stayed just as big, commenting, "wow."

These small moments keep me going in spite of days like yesterday.

No comments: